International Kissing Day, also known as World Kiss Day is observed every year on July 6. Of course, as the day suggests, it is a day to celebrate the act of kissing.
The purpose behind this day is also to remind people about the value and simple pleasure of a kiss shared with a loved one, no matter if it is a romantic kiss or a friendly one.
This day is often associated with National Kiss Your Crush Day, which is observed on October 19.
History of International Kissing Day
It is believed that International Kissing Day was inspired by National Kissing Day in the United Kingdom.
This day was so popular in the UK, sponsored by many brands and celebrities, that during the early 2000s, it spread across the world and turned into an international celebration.
This day started as a simple day to celebrate love and romantic kissing. However, it is now a reminder that even just a simple kiss is a symbol of love and care.
How to Celebrate International Kissing Day
There are some events hosted on this day, to promote kissing and to help people find a partner through kissing.
Check locally to see if there are any happening near you, and pucker up!
Let the people in your life know you love them by sharing a kiss. Remember, it doesn't have to be romantic, a quick peck on someone's cheek is enough to show them you care.
When you're done with all the kissing, curl up on the sofa and watch your favorite rom-com.
8 Facts About Kissing That Will Make You Wish You Were Doing it Now
- There is a lot of disagreement among scientists as to why humans kiss. Some believe it is instinctual, while others think it is a learned behavior.
- Most people (two-thirds, in fact) tilt their heads to the right when kissing someone.
- Kissing releases dopamine in our systems, which means that it works in a similar way that addictive drugs do in our bodies. Dopamine creates feelings of pleasure, which is why when we kiss we want to do it repeatedly.
- Lips have many sensitive nerve endings and are 100 times more sensitive than fingertips.
- Kissing is good for your health. When people kiss, around 80 million bacteria are transferred between the two mouths. This introduces new bacteria to the body, which improves the immune system.
- The United States has some weird laws on kissing. For example, in Indiana, a man with a mustache should not kiss other human beings. In Hartford, Connecticut, it is illegal to kiss one's wife on a Sunday.
- The more satisfied people are in their relationship, the more they kiss.
- Kissing helps reduce stress, by lowering the levels of the cortisol hormone, which is why kissing gives a sense of safety and security.